Friday, August 17, 2012

Getting to Know Mrs. Bair

I thought it would be fun to share a little about myself before the start of the school year. Maybe you'll find that we have some things in common!

This school year will be my 15th year teaching in Elizabethtown. I taught most of that time at Rheems, but I spent at least one marking teaching at every elementary school when I taught elementary technology. Since I started I have taught 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, a 4th / 5th multiage class, and elementary technology. I enjoy teaching different grades because it helps me understand how kids change and grow and what I need to do to help them be their best as they move through each grade.

I LOVE using technology to connect with other teachers and classes. Over the past two years my students and I have used our class and personal blogs, Skype, videos, and Storybird to connect with our families and classes in Texas, Michigan, Massachusetts, Arizona, Canada and Australia!! I have learned that having a real audience to read and respond to our pieces and listen to our reading and speaking helps us with our writing, our reading and our speaking skills. In addition to using technology to connect with other classes, we use it to practice skills and to create projects to demonstrate what we have learned. If you scroll back through last year's posts, you can see some of the projects the students created and shared.

Even when I'm not in school I spend a lot of time connecting with teachers and learning new ways to help prepared kids for their futures. But I do still manage to have lots of fun! My husband and I have two wonderful fur babies, Maxx and Snickers, that we adopted from the Lancaster Humane League. We go for lots of walks!! I enjoy exercising and recently completed a running / kayaking event! I also like hiking and camping with Mr. Bair, reading, spending time with friends and family, and going to the beach.

I left out a lot of information (like all of my favorites!) so you will have some questions to ask me when we are getting to know each other the first few days. I hope you'll think of some questions for me because I know I will have lots of questions to ask you! Only 10 days until our amazing adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment