Friday, April 12, 2013

See the Northern Lights!!!!

Thanks to a large solar flare that occurred Thursday, on Saturday, April 13 people here in Central PA will have a chance to see the Aurora Borealis. Seeing the Northern Lights is something that's on my bucket list, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will cooperate and we'll be able to see them.

From everything I'm reading, it sounds like the best viewing time will be at midnight on Saturday night, but there are places saying you could potentially see them from sunset until sunrise. These two pages have been the best resources I've found so far:

Accuweather Reports Dazzling Northern Lights
Accuweather's Astronomy Facebook Page

You can also check the Geophysical Institute's Official Forecast page, and this page includes live updates about where to see the Aurora Borealis right now. This will be especially helpful tomorrow if you're really interested in seeing them and want to check about when to go outside.

A quick google image search of Aurora Borealis will get you some pretty remarkable pictures. I'm not sure if the lights will be that brilliant here tomorrow evening, but I will be happy just to be able to say I got to see them. I hope some of my friends in the Bair's Den do, too!

Please leave a comment here or add your own blog post if you and your family go out and get to see the Northern Lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment